EMOTION / THOUGHT / ACTION
What we have been experiencing in recent times has challenged us on every level. It extremely affected our closeness to one another by rendering the act of being together almost obsolete. Our community has suffered, be it from the economic crisis, the pandemic or the August 4 explosion.
Galerie Tanit presents TOGETHERNESS, an open call for applications for the reopening exhibition of its Mar Mikhael space. The opening of the show is forecasted for JUNE 19, 2021.
The call seeks to bring together works by artists residing in Lebanon around the idea of togetherness. Be it in emotion, thought, or action, how can art translate solidarity and community?
The exhibition attempts to encourage innovation and artistic production in these dire times. The theme is large, open, and non-restrictive in regards to the content, approaches and working techniques. Individual artists or collectives can apply with one project proposal.
The call is aimed at artists who have demonstrable prior experience in the art world or an art-related academic path.
All projects will be reviewed and evaluated by a jury who reserves the right not to admit those who do not meet the requirements of the call. The jury is made up of five experts with different backgrounds ensuring a diverse set of point of views and interests. The jury will be announced at a later stage.
The selected projects will be part of the exhibition TOGETHERNESS – EMOTION / THOUGHT / ACTION, which will take place at Galerie Tanit, Mar Mkhayel in June 2021.
- March 25 to April 15, 2021: open call
- April 16 to April 20, 2021: evaluation of proposals and jury's decision
- April 26, 2021: announcement of selected artists
- April 26 to June 15, 2021: production and installation
- June 19, 2021: opening of the exhibition and gallery space
- June 19 to August 31, 2021: exhibition at Galerie Tanit, Mar Mkhayel
The call is aimed at artists residing in Lebanon that demonstrate, through the CV they submit with their application, previous experience in carrying out exhibition projects.
The application may relate to an individual’s project or that of a group of artists.
Artists can present work from any discipline: painting, photography, sculpture, performance, sound and music, digital art, installation, design.
The application will be considered eligible if it meets each and every one of the following requirements:
- The applicant/s must submit only one proposal.
- The applicant must demonstrate previous experience or art-related academic path.
- The work in the proposal must not have been exhibited in Lebanon before and must be related to the theme of the show.
- The proposal must not contain content that is discriminatory towards any group of people or that violates people's right to privacy.
- Proposals in Arabic, English, or French are accepted.
MATERIALS AND SUBMISSION OF THE APPLICATION
- The application form should be filled and submitted.
- A PDF file that details the project and the technical requirements (proposal, production, equipment, budget, etc.).
- A biography, a CV and a Portfolio of the artist/collective.
- Any other material deemed relevant (photos, videos, technical plans, …)
The DEADLINE for proposal submissions is April 19, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Beirut time. For any further clarifications on the guidelines, please contact email@example.com
BUDGET, PRODUCTION, AND INSTALLATION
Galerie Tanit sets a global budget for the exhibition. Depending on that budget, the jury will decide the number of projects accepted. Galerie Tanit will take charge of the production of the works with reasonable requirements and costs.
Galerie Tanit will make all its technical expertise and technical equipment available for the selected projects and will follow up on the production process.
Galerie Tanit offers its whole exhibition space of 300 sqm and the possibility to present work/s on the esplanade. Hors-les-murs projects are a possibility; their feasibility will be studied carefully.
OBLIGATIONS OF SELECTED ARTIST/S
The selected artists need to accept the following:
- Galerie Tanit will produce the work up to a certain budget. The Artist/Collective will accept consigning the work to Galerie Tanit for 6 months starting at the opening of the exhibition. The gallery works on a 50% basis.
- The Artist/Collective warrant/s that they are the creators of the work and possess the full copyright titles to the ARTWORK.
- The Artist/Collective will provide descriptions of the work that are true and accurate.
- The Artist/Collective will be clear with the exact needs of production of their work.
- The Artist/Collective will ensure the delivery of the final work within the deadlines specified.
- The Artist/Collective will waiver all rights to reproduce the work for the purposes of documentation (texts, images, etc.), the press release, the design of PR material (invitation, brochure, etc.) and the exhibition signage (texts, biographies, cartels, posters, etc.)
- The Artist/Collective will discuss with the gallery the installation and display of the work.
EVALUATION AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Applications will be evaluated based on the following:
- The application form
- The proposal that will be particularly assessed for its INNOVATIVE CHARACTER, its ARTISTIC QUALITY and its ties with the proposed concept of TOGETHERNESS.
- The jury will also assess the technical and budgetary feasibility of the project. For this reason, an extremely detailed list of the technical and production requirements of the project is requested, nay required.
The decision as to the selected project, which must be substantiated, will be the responsibility of the jury and may not be appealed.
RESULTS AND FINAL PROVISIONS
Given the current circumstances resulting from the pandemic and the country’s context, Galerie Tanit reserves the right to modify the rules, as well as the deadlines mentioned herein, and may even postpone the exhibition.
If there are any changes regarding the open call, they will be announced via the social channels of the gallery and galerietanit.com.
WHEN THE JURY HAS MADE THEIR DECISION, THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED VIA E-MAIL, AT THE E-MAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED IN THE APPLICATION FORM.